Thursday, October 27, 2011

Shirley Temple Cupcakes


My brother came in from out of state for the day this week and we went over to my parent's house so we could all have dinner together. My mom gave me "dessert duty" and I decided to make this recipe that I have been wanting to try for a while.

I changed up the cake and frosting recipes just a bit. Here are my versions:

Cake Ingredients:

1 box vanilla cake mix

12oz (1 1/2 c) diet cherry 7-UP
(the original recipe called for regular 7-UP)

1/3 c chopped (and stemmed) maraschino cherries
(I bought the whole ones already stemmed at Target since they were cheaper. I chopped some for the mix and used the rest as garnish)

2 Tbsp cherry juice from jar

1. Mix all ingredients together. It will be frothy at first but will settle as you mix.
2. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake per cake box directions.

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 tub whipped cream

4-6oz cream cheese
(depending on how much of a cream cheese taste you want)

1 Tbsp cherry juice from jar

Just beat all ingredients with mixer and let refrigerate for about 10 minutes before frosting.

Once the cupcakes have cooled, Frost and top with left over cherries. To frost them, I used a pastry bag with just the coupler inside...no tip. I laid out the remaining cherries on a paper towel while I baked the cupcakes so they could dry out a little better...I didn't want them to make my frosting runny.

These are SO good! Using the cherry 7-UP made them taste exactly like cherry cake. Plus, who knew that putting cherries on top of cupcakes could make them look so darn cute? My daughter's next birthday will probably be an "ice cream shop" theme...so I can already see these with colorful sprinkles and little decorative straws sticking out of the frosting to look like ice cream sundaes:)


I'm linked to:


1 comment:

  1. very cute and sound delicious come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails