Monday, January 30, 2012

Rapunzel "Hair" Party Decorations

This was the first year I wasn't going to do a theme for my daughter's birthday. I was just going to put together a bunch of desserts she loves and have a good old fashioned party.

That was until my (almost) 4 year old set me straight. She asked ever so politely if she could have a Rapunzel party, and when she said, "Please Mama? PLEASE??"...then how could I say no?

So, there will be a theme, and that theme will be Rapunzel. I have to admit...it's one of my favorite Disney movies too and planning a princess party has been pretty fun:)

In lieu of just buying every licensed product at the party store (which is crazy expensive), I wanted to make some fun decorations that were unique. One thing that you think of when you think Rapunzel is long hair...and we will have plenty of that!

I wanted to string a bunch of "hair" all over the house, but I had to think about what materials to use that would be durable and cost effective. At first I braided together yellow crepe paper...but it wasnt the right color...and my daughter ripped it.

Then it hit me...yellow plastic table clothes!

I found this perfect yellow color at Walmart in their party section for $.98, cut it into 12 long strips and then made 4 long braids out of it. I taped together the ends and covered those spots with purple ribbon that I found at Michaels for $1.


To braid each section, I took 3 strips, taped them together with clear tape at one end, taped THAT taped end to the top of a door jam (so the strips could hang down easily), braided them together, and then finally taped the end of the braid with more clear tape.

One tablecloth makes 36 feet of "hair"!

I will be showing you more of the DIYs for the party as the weeks go on:)

I'm linked to:


4 comments:

  1. Melissa that is AWESOME!!!! My daughter wants a Cinderella party for her 4th and I'm already planning too. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!! :)

    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual SO incredibly cute and crafty!! I hope I throw awesome themed parties for little Logan just as good as yours are for your daughter! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww that hair piece is so cute.. Can't wait for the party glimpses.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hair! We did a Rapunzel Party for my daughter's 3rd birthday as well. Take a look:

    http://www.leslieslife.com/2011/06/audreys-3rd-birthday.html

    Such a cute theme.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails