Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Starting a New Year

 
We started off our new year by traveling up north to look at some amazing sunset views. We did this last year on New Year's Day and I'm excited to make it a tradition each year.
 
I always get excited for a new year. Part of me is sad that the past year is over but I'm so excited for what's to come!
 
My goals for this year are:
 
1. Continue being healthier. My goal is to do another race this year. Probably not a half marathon, but something to train for that will keep me motivated to make healthy choices.
 
2. Recycle more. I'm really passionate about this topic. I have never been the best at watching what I throw away and I want to change. This last year I started implementing small changes into our lifestyle like taking reusable totes to the grocery store and keeping one in my purse for small errands, making my own laundry soap, and recycling what plastics we did have. It was so exciting to see how these changes made us feel about ourselves, while saving us money!
 
I know these few changes are small, but I am excited to start bigger projects (like our own compost and an "electricity free night" here and there) and show our children how we need to be intentional in our spending and consumption.
 
3. Take a family camping trip. I will admit that I don't like camping. The thought of spending time and money to live outside sounds, well, awful. My husband wants to camp so badly. I decided this is the year I get over my fear and go camping! We are going to do a trial run in the backyard first:) Mama needs to ease into this wilderness stuff!
 
4. Revise our family budget. This one is long overdue. We already cut some large bills out of our life and sticking to our grocery and entertainment budget will make it possible for us to do bigger things like help others and take a family trips.
 
5. Keep it simple. I have been feeling like our lives need to be simplified for a while. We got caught up in the "bigger house, bigger car, better phones" craze and we had to stop and look at who we were becoming. Now, while I won't be trading in my iPhone (it was half off...so I get to keep it!), we made some decisions to slow down and simplify. That means staying in our 2 bedroom condo instead of upgrading to a larger house when our lease is up and trading in our SUV for a hybrid car.
 
Making these decisions to simplify have reduced stress in our lives. Driving a smaller car was a change at first (I missed my heated leather seats), but not having to calculate how much gas it will cost to do...well, anything...has been freeing. Also, we all kinda love being closer together in a car (ask me how this is working out when the kids are 10 and 7!).

I want to live a calm life. Days where maybe the most we get accomplished are a few puzzles and baking cookies. These days when my kids are little are going by way too quickly and this year I want to take in each moment. Being over scheduled is not an option.

What are your goals for 2013?
 


3 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa.... My big goal is to also simplify and have more calm..... I just found your blog recently and enjoy the crafts and other tidbits you post!

    We are a camping family-- we love it... Love to disconnect and be in nature.... Cook outside, sit around a fire, hiking.... There's so much to do.... Give it a try....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goals! I, too, want to simplify and downsize. And one of my other goals is reading more books. I've already got a huge list to plow through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Numbers 2 and 3 are very close to my heart, if you need any starter tips, a tent to practice with, a compost primer, I'm your gal! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails