Monday, May 9, 2011

Cherry Pineapple "Dump" Cake


This recipe was given to me by my MIL and it's a favorite spring "go to" when I don't feel like putting the effort into a dessert...but I want a great reward;)


Here are the ingredients:


1 boxed yellow cake mix


1 can crushed pineapple (drained)


1 can cherry pie filling


1 stick of butter


So, the cake gets the term "dump cake" because you basically just dump all the ingredients in the pan! But, maybe call it something else to your husband if he always has to laugh at the word "dump". Men.


1. Pour the cherry pie filling in your baking dish. You can use a 9x13 or I used my 12x12 dish.



Pour drained pineapple into dish and mix with the pie filling.



Now, the original recipe calls for you to just pour the cake mix over the top and dot it with a stick of butter...but since I can't seem to "dot" cohesively....I would always end up with dry mix one place and butter rivers in others when I pulled it out of the oven.


SO...I came up with an easier way for me to make the top without crying:) I use my hand mixer to blend the cake mix and butter.



I mix until there are "pea size" pieces of cake mix. You want a streusel-like texture.



Now sprinkle the cake mixture over the top of your filling and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.



The center will jiggle a bit when you pull it out of the oven and the sides of the top with be a bit browned. The top should also be a bit hard. The center will settle as it cools. You can serve this warm, or at room temperature. I have found it gets devoured either way!



My MIL has also tried this with other pie fillings, such as blueberry so that's something I want to try. Also, this fall I want to attempt an all apple version with a spice cake topping. There are so many variations. You can't really taste chunks of pineapple either (in case there is a pineapple hater in your group). I always get asked whats in with the cherry since it just has a tangy taste.


Enjoy! There is one more serving left on my counter...so I just convinced myself to have it:)

2 comments:

  1. This is my kind of dessert, EASY. It sounds and looks delish, I will have to try it!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl!

    Sorry I haven't read your blog in awhile (I don't really read anyone's blogs anymore, sad!) but I just saw that you are pregnant! Congrats! So excited for you. I am also pregnant, due Nov 20th..when are you due? How have you been feeling? The pregnancy is making blogging so much harder huh!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails