Friday, May 20, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Tortellini Soup (under $6)



I am FINALLY getting my appetite back...which means after my two month break from cooking on a regular basis...it's time to get back in the kitchen:) Through my first trimester I became the quesadilla, hot dog, and deli meat sandwich queen in order to put SOMETHING in front of my husband so that he didn't have to eat out every day.



Although not cooking for so long was kind of a relief...I hated not having an appetite or being able to even look at food, so I would much rather be putting meals on the table every day now .



Normally I am not a soup person, but after seeing a version of this recipe in a cook book this week, I figured I had to give it a try. BTW: I rented 10 cookbooks from the library...yes 10! I think my husband almost shed a tear when he said, "you're back". He was had been very understanding over the last few months:)



The original version just calls for chicken stock...but I like creamy soups...so I added some alfredo sauce to thicken it up. I also added some parsley as well. Also, from now on when I post my recipes, I am going to add up the cost since I know we are all trying to save on homemade dinners these days!



Ingredients:



1 package of cheese tortellini $3.29



1-2 cups of shredded cooked chicken $1.00



(you can use how ever much you like. I used a little less than a cup and found that it was enough)



3 celery stalks - chopped $.20



3 carrots - chopped $.20



1 medium onion - chopped (I used 1/4 c frozen) $.15



1 clove garlic - minced $.03



1 can chicken stock (I used broth) $.67



1/4 c alfredo sauce $.35



1 tbs parsley flakes (or fresh parsley) $.05



Directions:



Boil the tortellini is saucepan per package instructions



While tortellini is boiling, saute' celery, carrots, onion, and garlic on medium high heat for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.



(For minced garlic, I use my handheld grater that I got at the dollar store. I grate the garlic cloves right over the pot)



Add cooked chicken, chicken stock (or broth), alfredo sauce, and cooked tortellini to the vegetables along with parsley flakes and more salt or pepper if you like.



Cover and put on low for 30 minutes.



I served it with some french bread slices that I put in the toaster. If you like a creamier soup, you can add more of the alfredo sauce. This soup can also be customized to your vegetables tastes. You could try it with some peas or broccoli as well. This might also be nice with a spicy Italian sausage instead of chicken and maybe some thinly cut potato slices.


Best of all, this soup is so hearty and filling and smells amazing while it's cooking! Your husband will think SO much more work went into it than it did:)



Total (4-6 servings): $5.94



I am truly amazed at how much money (and how many calories!) we can save by eating at home and lately, home cooked meals have never tasted so good;)



I'm linked to:



Tatertots and Jello

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks really yummy and has all ingredients that my kids will eat! ;) I'm going to have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came over from tatertots and jello. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails