Friday, May 27, 2011

Chicken Bacon Spinach Mini Pizzas (Papa Murphy's Inspired)


A while back my friend and I split an amazing pizza from Papa Murphy's called the Chicken Bacon Artichoke from their deLITE menu. It was amazing and since then the hubs and I have gotten one for ourselves again. The only thing was...I didn't have a coupon...so $11 for one pizza just didn't seem like such a great deal.



(source)


So, I decided to make my own version for a fraction of the price. It doesn't take the place of Papa Murphy's, but its a great stand-in on days when we don't want to go out (hello 100+ degrees!) or spend the gas (at almost $4 a gallon).


We had 3 pizzas for lunch (2 for my husband and 1 for me). This recipe makes up to 6.


Ingredients:


1 pkg pita breads $1.00


1/2 c alfredo sauce $.75


4 strips turkey bacon cooked and cut $.50


1/2 fresh spinach leaves cut $.20


grilled chicken $1.00


mozzarella cheese $.50


parsley, salt, and pepper to taste


My first "go to" ingredient for mini pizzas are pita breads (about 7" in diameter). I came across this idea a couple of years ago when I didn't have the energy to make pizza dough...but had these pitas in the refrigerator. I get mine at my local Dollar Tree for $1 and when they are there I usually buy about three packages and freeze them. They also come in whole grain versions and they retail for about $2 in a normal grocery store.


They are so perfect because they are just right for personal portions and they bake up so nicely in the oven.



On one pita I spread out some alfredo sauce and top with spinach. Then I pile on the chicken, bacon, and mozzarella. At the end, I sprinkle it with parsley flakes (or fresh if you have it) and then a little salt and pepper.


I put two at a time on a cookie sheet lined with foil (to prevent a mess) and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


I'm not kidding, when I first opened the oven it smelled EXACTLY like the Papa Murphy's one that we love! The only thing missing from mine was the artichoke hearts. I plan on trying it with those next time.


Also, what I love about mini pizzas is that everyone gets what they want. You can add or take away to each one to make everyone happy:)


Total price (6 personal pizzas): $3.95


Under $4 is a lot better than over $11 any day!

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny that you posted this today! I just told Josh that I wanted that pizza for dinner tonight. It's a good idea to make it at home! :) but I think this lazy pregnant girl is going to take my coupon and go buy one! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great! wow! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails