Sunday, May 29, 2011

Grilled Chipotle BLT's....minus the "L" (under $3)



Maybe I should just switch this to a food blog, huh? Seems like I post more recipes than crafts these days:) Oh well, we are trying to stay on budge by eating at home more and I'm too tired to go out to eat anyways.



I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Like...I could eat one every day of my life and would possibly marry one if I wasn't already married (and also if marrying a sandwich was even possible). My husband is not a huge fan UNTIL I introduced bacon. Yes, bacon is the secret ingredient to make my husband love anything.



So, tonight I combined my love of grilled cheese with another favorite, the BLT.



Ingredients (for 4 sandwiches)



8 slices of sourdough bread $.50



4 slices of provolone cheese $.60



8 slices of tomato (about 3 tomatoes) $.50



4 slices of cooked turkey bacon $.45



2 tbsp Chipotle mayonnaise (or regular mayo if you prefer) $.15



4 slices of deli ham $.50



butter and parmesan (optional)



I start all my grilled cheeses by spreading a bit of butter or margarine on the outside of the bread. For a little extra "punch" I sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top as well.



Now for the inside, I spread a little of my chipotle mayo on the inside of one piece of bread, then layer one half of my cheese slice, the ham, two tomato slices, one bacon strip (cut in half), the other half of the cheese slice, and then the last piece of sourdough bread (with a little chipotle mayo on the inside of that as well).





I grill the sandwich in a skillet on med-high heat, pressing with my spatula as it cooks on either side. It takes just about a minute of either side. Basically you know you will get a perfect grill on one side if you flip it once it stops sizzling on the skillet.



This sandwich is SO good and the chipotle mayo just gives it a little kick and mixed well with the tomato. I found the special mayo in the regular salad dressing aisle...and for $1 with my coupon. You could also add the lettuce to this BLT...I just wasn't sure I would like the taste of warm lettuce. I do want to try it with fresh spinach though.



Total (4 sandwiches): $2.70

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails