Wednesday, May 25, 2011

No Sew Curtains from a Duvet


This has been one project that I have been putting off for a couple of months. I just haven't been in a sewing mood when it came to a larger project. I'm SO glad I finally got it done though because it made me fall in love with my living room! I have had a love-hate relationship with our decor for quite some time and I am finally figuring out what makes our space feel more like home and more like us.


So, I started with a king size duvet set that I purchased at Goodwill. I also bought the matching pillow shams because I thought it was a queen size (since that's what we have). I washed it and put it on our bed to realize it was a king. So I took a few weeks to decide if I wanted to sew it down to fit...or if I wanted to use it for something else. Long story short, after letting it sit on our bed, the hubs and I decided it was too much design for bedding.





source


Side note: Ironically I fell in love with this pattern about a year ago and had no idea where it came from. I was in an antique store in a nearby city and there was a large piece of fabric with this pattern. I loved it immediately...but the price was ridiculous. So, I searched online and figured out it was an Ikea duvet...that was sold out:( So, here we are, almost a year later and I run into the complete set at my local Goodwill, still in perfect condition (and with the original tags) for $11!! THAT is why I love thrift stores!


OK...let's get focused again:) I decided to take the easy way out and use hem tape for the curtains. My opinion on hem tape? I think its great for smaller projects...but after ironing and ironing on my coffee table (I don't have an ironing board)...I realized I could have sewed it much faster;)



The length of the duvet was the perfect length of curtains (yay!) so I removed both sides of the duvet. I basically ripped out the seams all the way around starting at the bottom where the opening was.


After I had one panel from my duvet, I folded that in half again and cut it into two equal parts to become my two curtain panels.



Finally I ironed in all my edges while following the direction on the hem tape package and I was done!



I absolutely love them! I wish I had a before and after to show you how pathetic they make my last curtains look...but I that's OK. I didn't want to embarrass them (or myself) anyways:)



So, I have the other side of the duvet still and that will become either a new shower curtain...or window curtains for our room as well. I also still have both pillow shams to work with too.


Total price (both panels): $4.00

7 comments:

  1. So ridiculously impressed! They look GREAT!!! Love the picture frames on the wall too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-stinkin'-dorable! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this! You should use the pillow shams to make toss pillows for your couch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's this for crazy--I found a pair of pillowcases, in this very pattern, hanging on a tree guard railing right near a local park.

    Now if you tell me you live in Brooklyn, I will feel obligated to leave them on your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need new curtains for my bedroom. I haven't found any the color I need or at a price I can afford. Since reading your informative blog, I'll be looking at the thrift stores in my area for duvaes that I can use. Thanks so much for the creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several thrift stores I inhabit on a regular basis. Top 2 are: ValooVilaage (Value Village) and Sally Ann (Salvation Army). I always head for the sewing section before anywhere else. I once found a tube of fabric priced for $20 with maybe 12-14 yards of fabric on it. Talk about happy. I love finding things people hide. 9 times out of 10 it's something I had looked but never found before, again serendipty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails