Friday, March 2, 2012

Cake Pop Challenged? Make Oreo Pops!


I think I might be the only person in blogland that can't make a cake pop. The whole process normally leaves me in tears, or cursing...or both. It's not the cake part that normally gets me...it's the dipping. I can never get the candy melts the right consistency and so I have avoided the issue all together. Each time I pass the little candy melts in the craft store I feel like they are mocking me.

That ends today.

I decided I was going to learn this whole "dipping things in pretty colored candy" thing.

I decided to start out with Oreos...cause at least if the whole project turned into a disaster, then I could eat the Oreos while I cried...and cursed. Win win for me.

But I did it! I conquered the task, and yes, I am being way overly dramatic about it!

Wanna make Oreo pops too? Let's go!

OREO POPS

2 pkgs DOUBLE STUFFED OREOS
(It's important to buy the double stuffed so the sucker stick will fit in the middle)

1 bag CANDY MELTS

1 pkg sucker STICKS

2 tbsp VEGETABLE OIL

STEP 1: Insert sucker sticks into the center of each Oreo. I pushed them up until I could just about feel them poke out the top of the cream. Put in refrigerator while melting the candy.

STEP 2: Pour 1/2 bag of candy melts into microwaveable bowl. (I used a glass measuring cup) and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. It only took two times in my microwave.

STEP 3: While candy are still hot, mix in 2 tsp-1tbsp vegetable oil until desired consistency. Don't add more than 1 tbsp of oil or the candy will taste oily.

STEP 4: Take Oreos out of the fridge and dip them into the candy. I found it was easiest by coating one side completely and then turning to coat the other side. Lay down on wax paper and add sprinkles one side.

STEP 5: Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until candy has set.

Um...then eat.


Now that I have dipping confidence...I'm going to give cake pops another go!

I'm linked to:


4 comments:

  1. These look so yummy and VERY cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried cake pops and just couldn't get it right. Gave up and ate all the cake/frosting mix. :p

    My grocery store has oreos on sale for a dollar so I'll have to get some more and try this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from WIWUW at Sugar and Dots! ;-) Am going to have to try adding the oil to the chocolate melts! I hate dipping too, but these look fab and will be cute for Easter and every other occasion! Thanks for sharing! The Rapunzel party is DAR-LING, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! I just made these for my daughter's first birthday. When I post all the pictures, I will link to your post because it was so helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails