Thursday, April 26, 2012

DIY Twisted Turban Headband (from an old t-shirt)


I had an old shirt that I was about to donate, but I loved the print so much I wanted to find something to do with it. I love the twisted headbands I have been seeing everywhere and decided to make one of my own.

Materials:

knit fabric (or old t-shirt)

matching thread

STEP 1: Cut two strips out of the knit fabric. that are double the final width you want your headband straps to be. My strips were approximately 4 in x 20 in.


STEP 2: Fold each strip in half (with right sides facing) and sew down the long side of raw edges. Flip right side out. Now you will have two "tubes".


STEP 3: Lay out tubes (seam sides up) in the shape of an "X". 

STEP 4: Fold strips over so that they are linked together, matching up the raw edges.


STEP 5: Take the unfinished headband and wrap around your head to see how tight to make it. Line up all raw edges and sew together with a straight stitch. Cut off any excess.


STEP 6: Flip seam to the inside of headband and wear!



Happy Thursday!

I'm linked to:


17 comments:

  1. This is so great! I've needed to revamp my summer hair accessories, I can't wait to test it out for myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally just made one of these in less than like 10minutes - Im not a sewer and dont have a sewing machine - I used HOT GLUE !!! Idk how well it will hold up but Im pretty excited about right now LOL - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill;)

    I am all about hot glue! Ha! Glad it worked out for you:) I would think as long as you dont need to wash it...the hot glue should work just fine! Good thinking;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the tutorial I had no idea it was so easy! You're steps are the best I've found. Keep the tips coming please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the pattern you´ve used for your turban. We have our own vintage inspired turban that is perfect for the party season: http://etralalondon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/diy-turban-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this tutorial! I just used it today (with a little something extra). Check it out on my blog if you want :D http://ellaandharry.blogspot.ca/2013/01/this-from-that-series-headband-from-old.html

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tried one myself..god its so pretty :)
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Used your tutorial and linked back to it on my blog! Thanks for this! Hope you have a great day!
    http://awhimsywillow.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-little-teal-and-navy-fabric.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made mine 6" wide, I didn't really think it was wide enough when I made it 4" wide. I also did about 3" of elastic at the back... The 20" wasn't long enough for me! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very simple tutorial and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Yeah I'm sure you could use snaps on the ends instead of sewing them together. Maybe two or more depending on the width of your headband.

      Delete
  12. Love the headband ! Thank you have been looking for a tutorial on making one !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this headband! I had an old long sleeve I cut into a tank & had leftover sleeves I wanted to make a matching headband. This was perfect because the sleeves were already in the tube stage so I just had to tie & fit. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. just found this via pinterest and whipped one out real quick! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Gonna have to try this one out with some tshirt scraps I have laying around. ROCKIN'!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails