Friday, April 6, 2012

Snow White Dress


My daughter's favorite princess these days is Snow White. I finally got this dress done for her and now the only problem I have is getting her to take it off!

I don't have a real tutorial for this but I thought I would still share how I made it.

I started with an existing Snow White dress that my mom found at Goodwill. It was in sad shape and one size too big for my daughter. I also found this red satin blouse for $1 at Goodwill because I knew I could use it to construct new sleeves, a cape, and a matching headband.

 For the cape, I cut out the back piece of the red blouse and hemmed the edges. For the collar, I cut out a collar shape from white satin and ironed on some craft fuse to the back to make it really stiff and stand up. I sewed the cape onto the collar and then the collar onto the sides of the shoulders of the dress.

I did not attach the collar all the way around the back of the dress because I wanted my daughter to be able to get into it easily. So, under the cape is the opening the back of the dress for her to get in and out.


For the sleeves I took some blue satin I already had and some red shirt material and used this tutorial from Craftiness Is Not Optional. Instead of putting a band around the bottom, I hemmed the raw edge under and then sewed elastic onto the edge (pulling it tight as I went so that it would pucker).


The tulle on the dress was ripping everywhere so I cut it off at the waist to leave the satin skirt on it's own.


For the headband, I covered an old headband with some red satin and then used this tutorial from Smile and Wave to make a big bow on top.  


 I ripped out the old stitching on the bodice of the dress and sewed on new silver trim that matched the glittery sleeves a little better.


Oh, and don't forget the red sparkle shoes;)


Happy Friday!

I'm linked to:
Tatertots and Jello

4 comments:

  1. WOW! That is amazing!! I absolutely loved it...it looks so much better than any other dress I've seen for a Disney princess. WOW! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! :) I love the piecey, puffy, princessy sleeves! Great job!

    Happy Day,
    Michelle
    www.daydreambelievers.net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails