Monday, April 9, 2012

Easy Perfectly Moist Turkey Recipe


I already shared how my husband and I were making our first turkey, and I have to be honest...I was pretty scared. I wasn't sure if it was just going to totally deflate as soon as we cut into it like on Christmas Vacation or if it would be raw inside.

I read a lot online for the "perfect" recipe. Some people said that a brine was the only way to go...others said a roasting bag was the best way.

I needed the best tasting recipe AND the easiest.

We finally just took a bunch of ideas that we liked from many recipes and made up our own! It turned out SO moist I can't believe it! It carved beautifully and no one needed a knife to cut it.

Turkey perfection was achieved.

Now, I have to give 99% of the credit to my husband because he shoved his hand up the bird, he rubbed it down with butter, he carved it,...and he reads this blog;) All in all it was a really fun experience to have together and we made a better turkey than my mom, just sayin'.

PERFECTLY MOIST TURKEY

1 (18lb) TURKEY

1 ONION

2 small ORANGES (or 1 large)

1 LEMON

3 tbs BUTTER

3 cups CHICKEN BROTH

2 tsp SALT

2 tsp PEPPER

2 tsp GARLIC POWDER

1 tsp PARSLEY FLAKES (optional)

STEP 1: Place turkey in a roasting pan. Cut onion, oranges, and lemon into quarters and stuff the turkey with them.

STEP 2: Take half the butter and rub it under the skin of the turkey. It's easier to separate the skin from the meat first and then spread the butter on. Do this all over the breast meat.

STEP 3: Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley together. Spread half under the skin of the breast meat.

STEP 4: Rub remaining butter and spices on top of the turkey on both breast and thighs.

STEP 5: Pour 2 cups of the broth in the bottom of the pan. Lower oven rack to the lowest setting and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

STEP 6: Make an foil tent over the turkey and bake for about 4 hours (or until internal temperature of the thigh meat reaches 180 degrees). Baste turkey with broth every 30 minutes while cooking and fill up bottom with remaining broth if needed. Also, remove the foil tent for the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails