Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Donuts (from refrigerated biscuits)


I have been seeing homemade donuts from canned biscuits all over the Internet for a while now and decided I finally needed to try them. So, that happened this weekend and I even experimented with different toppings (because who wants just a plate full of all the same donuts?)


Canned Biscuit Donuts

1 can TEXAS STYLE BISCUITS
VEGETABLE OIL
1/2 c SUGAR
1 Tbsp CINNAMON
1 c POWDERED SUGAR
SPRINKLES

STEP 1: Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in skillet or dutch oven over med to med high heat.

STEP 2: Cut centers out of each biscuit. I used an old bottle cap. Save the centers to make into donut holes.

STEP 3: Place the biscuits in the oil. BE CAREFUL! Flip as soon as you can see the underside turning golden brown. (This only takes about 30 seconds). Cook other side and transfer to a plate with paper towel on it. Allow to cool a bit before adding any toppings.

I made cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, and glazed (with sprinkles) varieties.

CINNAMON SUGAR
mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon and roll donuts in the mixture, let cool completely, and roll again.

GLAZE
mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and about a tsp of water until combined. Add a little more water if you want at thinner glaze. Roll donuts in the glaze, set on wax paper and top with sprinkles

POWDERED SUGAR
Roll the donuts in powdered sugar, let cool, and then roll again.

NOTE: I made two batches of these. The first was with Grands biscuits (I didn't realize I grabbed the wrong can) and they were still raw in the middle, so make sure to use the Texas style or something similar in size...just not the flaky kind because they will absorb too much oil.

Also, I tried rolling the donuts in melted butter before the sugars as the original recipe suggested and I found it just made a mushy mess. I much preferred rolling the plain donut in the sugars. It stuck better and made for a crispier shell on the outside of the donut.

These were a huge hit with my family. My husband already has lots of ideas for other toppings. I love that they were so cheap to make and we all got to stay in our jammies for breakfast:)

Wanna see another up close picture? Here ya go! 


I'm linked to:




4 comments:

  1. YUMMMM! I pinned this so I will remember to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I'm suddenly hungry! :) I think this would be good for a sleepover or special kid breakfast because they can put their own toppings on. Thanks for sharing, chica! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I wanted to ask if "texas style" is a brand or just a type of biscuit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to make homemade donuts for so long and this is such an easier way of doing it!!! I will HAVE TO try this! I would love for you to stop by and link this up at the Naturally-Nifty linky Party! Link up any other great stuff you have too!

    http://natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/02/naturally-nifty-linky-party-3-features.html

    -your newest follower

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails