Thursday, August 23, 2012

DIY: Stenciled Mickey Shirt Using Bleach


I made my husband a Jack Skellington shirt last time we went to Disneyland so this year I decided to go classic and make him a Mickey shirt.
 
I have been seeing stenciled shirts using bleach all over blog land and decided to give it a try myself.

Materials:
 
t-shirt
 
spray bottle
 
bleach
 
freezer paper
 
iron
 
cardboard
 
STEP 1: Cut out a stencil of what you want your design to be out of freezer paper. Iron the shiny side down onto your surface.


STEP 2: Place cardboard in the middle of your shirt so the bleach doesn't soak into the back.
Mix a solution of 60% bleach and 40% water in a spray bottle (use more bleach depending on the color of your shirt. This shirt was dark...so I knew not much bleach would be needed.)
 
STEP 3: Spray bleach solution evenly over stencil and wherever else on the shirt you want. I sprayed evenly over the front to make it look more even. Depending on the color of you fabric...you will see the change in a few minutes.
 
STEP 4: Peel off the freezer paper after a few minutes so that it doesn't get soggy.


STEP 5: Once you are done applying bleach, soak the shirt in water for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then wring out thoroughly and wash in the washing machine to ensure all the bleach is out. I washed it with some of my cleaning towels just so I didn't waste a whole load on one item;)
 

I think it was quite an upgrade for the $.50 shirt I found at Joann!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome :) And yes, quite an upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab idea! I shall definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius!! Love this idea. Definitely on my to-do list. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    I featured your awesome shirt on my blog today! Come on over and check it out :)
    http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/09/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-49.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did you find the mickey pic??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails