Wednesday, August 22, 2012

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say....

This is just a random post about something that really upset me today.
 
I got online to look up costume ideas for the Disneyland Half Marathon and found a blog of a lady who participated a couple of years ago. I was excited to see the pictures she took along the route and then saw she had this "segment" of her post called "What Were They Thinking?" where she took pictures of people from behind to make fun of their costumes.
 
I couldn't believe it.
 
I got sick to my stomach, then mad. Like, I wanted to leave the longest "YOU SUCK!" comment kind of mad. Mature, right?
 
I really can't believe someone would do that. How terrible would it be if you came across someone's blog and saw that they had taken a picture of you just to mock you?
 
Maybe in some of your cases, that has happened to you in the blogging world, or real life. If it has, I'm sorry.
 
This world we live in with all this social media is tricky. People seem to have a lot more confidence to say something hurtful since they don't have to say it to someone's face and they can add a smiley face behind it (because then it wasn't mean, right?)
 
Let's just remember (myself included because I am not perfect!) that our words and actions can hurt others. Is it really worth saying something if we KNOW it will cause pain? If it's not constructive...KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!
 
I think that blogger could have learned a lesson from our Disney friend, Thumper:
 
"If you don't have something nice to say....don't say anything at all."

5 comments:

  1. So very true! So many people are MEAN online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! Some people are just so insecure that they have to make fun of others to feel better. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! I just signed up for alerts to your blog and have really been enjoying EVERYTHING! I just made your chicken spinach calzones for family visiting and several asked for the recipe! ;) yumm :) thanks! I especially wanna encourage you for speaking out against injustices and bullying. It may not ever reach the guilty party but it says a lot to stand up against that kind of hurtful thing that could be dismissed as not a bid deal! So kuddos for your stance, I'm encouraged again! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving browsing your blog this afternoon. After reading this post, I'm definitely following you...not only because of your great style, but your sincerely good (rare) heart! Lots of love, keep up the good work!
    -INSPIRED

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails