Monday, August 27, 2012

Simple Quilted Blanket (using vintage sheets)

 

Every time we go to California, we devote one day to the beach. There is nothing like laying in front of the ocean, hundreds of miles from the stress of work and house chores.
 
I found this double size vintage sheet a while back and knew I wanted to make a new beach/picnic blanket out of it.
 


This was a simple project, and while I don't have a step-by-step tutorial for you, I will explain it. (I constructed it in the same way I made my daughter's baby clothes quilt)
 
Materials:
 
2 double size flat sheets
 
double size piece of batting (purchased at Joann)
 
matching thread
 
STEP 1: Layer one sheet on floor (right side UP) then, the next sheet on top of that (right side DOWN) and then the piece of batting on the back side of your top piece. Trim everything to the same size if needed.
 
STEP 2: Sew all around all three layers, leaving an opening at the bottom to flip the blanket right side out.
 
STEP 3: Flip blanket right side out, fold in opening edges and stitch opening closed and also continue to top stitch around the entire blanket.
 
STEP 4: Using the darning foot (or quilting foot depending on your sewing machine), sew over the top of the blanket with decorative stitching. I loosely stitched around the flowers on my blanket instead of a traditional quilting design.
 

 
Now we have a new blanket for our time at the beach and our picnics in the park this fall.
 
Hope you are having a lovely Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I love this, it's so pretty! I dream to be more confident at sewing some day. For now, I stick to small projects like buntings and pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of vintage sheets when im out shopping and i've never had an excuse to buy any. But now i do...i love this idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails