Thursday, September 27, 2012

DIY: Painted Pumpkins

 
Can I make a confession?
 
I am not a seasonal decorator.
 
I know...decorating and crafting for the seasons is like blogger content gold, right? But, it's just not me. It has something to do with living in smaller quarters and not wanting to store it and not wanting to clean it and not wanting to clutter the home.
 
I know, sometimes it's difficult to live in my head.
 
But I am trying my best this year to add a few more seasonal items to our home without feeling like I live in Hobby Lobby. Plus, I already have an obsessive amount a few owl decor pieces in my house...so that passes for fall decorations, right?
 
I picked up three pumpkins from the dollar store and repainted them so they fit into our vintage/modern decor.
 
STEP 1: I painted all the pumpkins with ivory paint.
 
STEP 2: (for the chevron pumpkin) I drew a chevron design on the painted pumpkin with a pencil and then painted in the lines with a deep orange acrylic paint.
 

STEP 3: (for the polka dot pumpkin) I dipped the end of a pencil eraser in black acrylic paint and stamped it on the pumpkin creating a polka dot pattern.
 
STEP 4: (the yellow pumpkin) I painted the whole pumpkin with two coats of mustard yellow acrylic paint.

 
STEP 5: I painted all the "stems" brown and then sealed each pumpkin with two coats of clear glossy spray paint.
 
This was a a fun project and it helped ease me into seasonal decorating...which I hope to get better at, and enjoy too!

I'm linked to:
Tatertots and Jello

3 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one with an obsessive amount of owl decor. Love these pumpkins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Sep. 28, 2012. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I love your pumpkins, love the colors and designs! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails