Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Disneyland Half Marathon

I can now add a half marathon to my list of life achievements. I have to be honest, once I crossed the finish line (and a few days afterwards)...I couldn't for the life of me remember why I ever cared about completing one!
 
Then I started feeling better and call me crazy...but I kinda want to do another race! The hubs and I have decided to do the Family Fun Run 5K in Disneyland so that we can do it together and take the kids with us;)
 
Here was the start line on our way to the expo to pick up my final race instructions and race bib:
 
Picking up my bib and starting to get a little nervous... 
 
I left the hotel around 4:10am. As soon as I got downstairs, there were hundreds of other people headed for the park. I found my corral (second to last one) around 4:45am and waited for the race to start. I had read that it's best to be at the front of your corral (especially since I was walk/running the race), so I was happy to find myself only about 10 people back...considering there was another 1000+ in my corral alone.
 
Finally, it was our turn to head up to the start line (around 6:30am by now). Then it was time to GO! 
 
Mile 1 went by, no problem: 
 
Mile 2...nice to see ya: 
 
Once we passed Mile 2...then we entered the park. It was so fun running through California Disney (since I haven't been there before): 

 
Now into Disneyland Park: 
 
Mile 3....and I started feeling some pain on the bottom of my feet, like blisters.

 
I pulled off into a Disney bathroom to check my feet since I had never encountered blisters in my training (I was wearing the same socks and shoes I had trained in)...and sure enough...some blisters were starting to form.
 
I kinda freaked out. I mean, it was only Mile 3....what was I supposed to do for 10 more miles??
 
I left the bathroom and kept walk/running...still freaking out a bit. I tried to enjoy the rest of the park, but each step was becoming more painful. 



 
Oh Mile 4....it seemed like it would never come. 
 
At this point, I passed our hotel and called my husband. I told him about my feet and how it was getting worse and how I didn't know what to do...etc. So, I just kept walk/running.
 
Mile 6...almost halfway!

 
I gotta be honest...Miles 6, 7, and 8 were kinda a painful blur. At one point my blisters burst, and it gave me some relief...I know...super gross.
 
Mile 9: 
 
Mile 9 was a changing point. I decided to stop crying in my head and stop the negative talk. It was time to get over the pain and finish the race. I mean, if I had someone walking by me and shouting negative things to me...I would punch them, right? So, why was I doing it to myself?
 
So I started saying positive things and being proud of myself...instead of feeling sorry for myself. I had to remind myself that I was completing something I had always wanted to do...and I had a baby 9 friggin' months ago! You go girl!...you know, stuff like that;)
 
We entered Angel's Stadium and walked around the field, which was pretty cool:) 
 
Mile 10...SO long. Then Mile 11...only 2 more to go! 
 
Mile 12...no time to stop for a photo! 1.1 miles to go and I gotta stay above the pace;)  
 
Mile 13: I took a picture and took off running: 
 
I ran straight across the finish line (sorry for the blurry picture...I took it after I passed through): 
 
I was done...I found my husband and kids...and needed to sit down. My feet hurt so bad and the adrenaline starting wearing off. We walked back to the hotel and I cried over my feet that I couldn't walk on at this point.
 
I soaked in a cold bath and the baby and I took a three hour nap. I woke up to my husband bringing back double stuffed oreos and a Big Mac....I love him.
 
I had a hard time emotionally after the race. We were still on vacation for the next 4 days...but I couldn't walk. My blisters were so intense. My muscles were fine. I was a little sore the next day...but nothing I couldn't deal with. I was frustrated that after all my training, something happened that I didn't plan for.
 
A couple of days later, after lots of prayers by me and others (thank you, friends!!) I was able to walk a lot better and we were able to enjoy Disneyland as a family!
 
So, in the end...I am super happy I finished. Next to childbirth, it was the hardest physical thing I have ever done. I am proud that I finished it and didn't quit. It was so exciting to wear the medal and pass other runners who had theirs too;)
 
I finished the race in 3 hours and 45 minutes. Not bad considering it was my first race (ever!) and I stopped to use the bathroom, take photos, and with horrible pain with each step:)
 
I did catch the running bug a bit and I want to get better at it. For now I will just look at my medal:)

5 comments:

  1. Great job!! I'm definitely impressed! Sucks about the blisters, but I'm glad you powered through :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspiring! I am amazed that you were able to do that with blisters. I probably would have just given up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post - pictures and all! I am training for my first 13 Nov 3rd. I am starting to freak out a bit.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took pictures along the way. I'm starting to train for a 1/2 marathon too. I'm scared! It's nice to know that you completed it and lived to tell the tale. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl you did it!!!!!!! that is so awesome!!!!!!!! and major props for turning your negative thinking into positive w/ all that going on! that's not easy during a run! especially a HALF MARATHON! that will be way in my future, if ever. ;) i think you will enjoy the 5k. i just started training again for the one i did last year and i'm in week 2. it will be my 4th one and i really enjoy them. just can't do it in the summer cuz it is toooooo hot here in the south. congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails